The TOWN REDEVELOPMENT - of Luebeck large function
In Luebeck are more historical built volumes from 13. to 15. Century receive as in all other cities of Northern Germany together. This predicate makes the extent of the functions clear the preservation of the historical townscape of the Hanseatic city Luebeck. The reorganization-needy boroughs are without exception on that approximately 100 hectares of large, island of the old part of town, the at the end of of 1987 surrounded by watercourses and the remainders of the barrier systems of the UNESCO to the list of the world cultural heritage one took up.
Efforts toward preservation and retaining the historical townscape and the monument protection have a long tradition in Luebeck. Thus ordered the advice of the city already in the year 1816 that each citizen must display the intended sales of a house or a work of art. Luebeck owes among other things its famous altar collection in the St. Annen museum to this decree. When the churches let their old altars replace by new, the time taste corresponding altars, the city bought up the historical pieces.
Since the year 1921 the at that time still independent Hanseatic city Luebeck possessed one of the early German monument protection laws. But already 100 years beforehand could be torn off in the old part of town houses only then if a draughtsman of the building authority had recorded the appearance of the front in all details for the file.
About a fifth of the historical old part of town became in the last war the only heavy air raid on Luebeck in the year 1942 destroys. Almost 8,500 bombs destroyed over 1.000 houses and five of the famous sieved Towers. The war-conditioned destruction was not the only problem of the town conservation in Luebeck. Particularly during the war and in the postwar years build-typical damage had itself due to in the old part of town maintenance measures lacking accumulated. Like that the gutters on the inside that were predominantly constant houses a cause of many damage by humidity for example. In addition sanitary-technical lack came: Approximately 30 per cent of the households in the city center the individual accomodation did not have because of strong covering of the open spaces, own toilets, 60 per cent had no own bath beyond that could because of nonfunctioning buildings and missing infrastructure their purpose, Habitat for healthy living and operating to be, no more do not fulfill.
In view of this status a global reorganization of the Luebecker old part of town became necessary. One began end of the 60's with a thorough stocktaking. The following public discussion over the targets of the reorganization took several years and
the following result had:
The decision over these principles of the reorganization fell in the middle of the 70's. In order to miss no time, one had however already parallel to the public discussion begun with first measures within the most urgently renewal-needy areas. In addition 1972 the areas Peter pit, Glandorps course and when heath were officially determined as reorganization areas in the sense of the town planning promotion law. The block 96 (Ernestinenschule) followed 1979. Detailed stocktakings, discussions flowed to the building administration with all inhabitants and owners as well as planning games with the citizens concerned by the reorganization into concepts concerning town construction.
In order to achieve a larger broad effect, the Luebecker building administration determined gradually further reorganization areas after the town planning promotion law and concomitantly the prerequisite for the development production by private initiatives. In the years 1982 to 1986 altogether 15 reorganization areas were officially determined. The areas are situated particularly in the northeast, northwest and southwest sections of the old part of town. Altogether now 30 per cent of the old part of town is avowed as reorganization areas. The Hanseatic city Luebeck imposed upon itself thereby a scheme of reconstruction, whose implementation is enough until far into the next century.
Planning and execution concentrated so far exclusively on the preservation of historical built volumes and the protection of the dwelling function in the historical residential districts, since the expiry was largest here. Now the traditional, mixed used accomodation, in those living and trade (or one above the other) are next to each other situated as in the areas between Dr. Julius liver road - meat meat routemeat route - Huexstrasse - Wahmstrasse into the reorganization concepts included.
To the termination of the high-structural repair works in the first reorganization areas (when heath, Peter pit, Glandorps course) it concerned those Reorganization and preservation of the public roads and workstations. Is to be planned and built with the same attention as with monument-protected buildings.
A further emphasis becomes in the next years the re-creation or transformation of the public spaces and Workstations in the business centre its. Thus also a contribution is to be supplied for the stabilization of the function of the historic town centre in the sense of the avowed principles apart from the preservation of the townscape.