The Magic Code v0.86
Based upon the Geek Code
Last updated September 14, 1995 e.v.
NO, not Magic: The Gathering. I mean
Magick is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in
conformity with Will.- Aleister Crowley
Modifiers and Condensed Notation
There are several ways of describing finer nuances in the
Code system. The following are lifted from the Geek Code, illustrated
using a fictional category X:
- Indicates you fluctuate between X+++ and X+.
- Indicates that you are X+ but aspire to X+++.
- Indicates your X rating is too variable to really be categorized.
- Indicates you get money because of your usage of or involvement
There is also a way to write the Code more compactly. If you
have identical ratings, say +++, in several categories, say X
and Y, and none of the categories involved have slash ("/")
modifiers, you can write "X/Y+++" instead of "X+++
M - Magically Oriented
The Geek Code specifies that a person's Code shall start with
the letter "G" for Geek, followed by some letters which
broadly describe what field of Geek s/he is. The Magic Code is
similar, except of course we use the letter M.
Choose the letter or letters following the M which most
suit you. For example, I am a Thelemic mage with some fairly
strong Chaos leanings, so I would begin my Code with: MTH/CH.
A Neopagan who thought Qabalah was really useful would write
MPA/QU. And so on. (Don't put down everything
you do in this, because that's what the other categories are
- MAL Alchemist
- MAS Astrologer
- MCH Chaos magician
- MDE Demonologist
- MEN Enochian
- MGD Golden Dawn or related magician (not Thelemic)
- MHY Hypnosis/fascinations
- MMU Music/Pythagoreanism
- MNE Necromancy
- MPA Pagan/Neopagan (non-Wiccan)
- MQU Qabalist (non-GD or Thelemic)
- MRU Runic/Asatru
- MSH Shaman
- MTA Tarot pathworker/meditation
- MTH Thelemic magician (Crowleyan)
- MVO Voodoo/voudoun/Santeria
- MWI Wiccan
- MYO Yogi
- MO Other
S - Secret Order membership
A "Secret Order", for our purposes, is one which
requires secrecy about anything except membership of other people.
(An Order which forbids you to reveal that So-and-So other than
yourself is a member, isn't being unduly secret.)
You get an additional plus rating if any Order you are part
of disapproves of your membership in any other Order you are
part of. You get two extra pluses if any Order you are part of
(but not being removed from) disapproves of your membership in
- I'm in the XI' O.T.O., am a 33' Freemason, and my last name
- My Order forbids me to reveal my own membership in it.
- My Order forbids me to reveal its initiation rituals in any
- My Order forbids me to reveal its passwords or grips.
- I am not a member of a Secret Order. I'm not really concerned
- I would never join an Order that swears me to secrecy.
- I would join an Order that had such a vow, and ignore the
- I would join such an Order just to reveal its secrets.
- If the Masons find me, my legs are gonna be miles from my
head within minutes.
- I can neither confirm nor deny any vows of secrecy which
I may have made.
G - Goetia
The Goetia is a part of the Western Hermetic tradition. It
involves demonic beings evoked as servitors. Some see this as
evil, some as good, and some don't care. Some find the Goetia
useful, some not so useful, and others don't think it works at
- Solomon was a wimp when it came to the spirit world.
- I use nothing but Goetia for even the simplest of tasks.
Demons live in my house.
- I've bound several servitors and kings with Pacts, and I've
got nothing to fear from demons.
- I find the Goetia to be an extremely useful means of getting
- As an experiment, I've evoked a demon once or twice. Nothing
- I'm vaguely aware of the art of conjuring/evoking demons,
but I've never bothered with it.
- Demonology worries me. Goetic magicians must be either very
careful, or insane.
- My deity forbids me to ever even speak a demon's name, much
less employ one.
- I've been on the Tom Ankerberg show exposing Goetists.
- In a previous incarnation I was a judge in Salem, Mass.
- I am of demonic descent myself and choose not to comment
Q - Q/C/Kabballah
The correct spelling of this has been much debated. One correspondent
expressed the belief that Qabalah was the Hermetic way, Kabballah
the Jewish way, and Cabala the Christian way. Whatever. I intend
no disrespect, but there really ins't consistency on this subject.
In recognition of the problem, however, I have added letters
to the 'Q'. If you include the Qabalah (or whatever!) in your
Magic Code, please use the letter 'Q' first to provide consistency
(K and C are more likely to be taken by other ratings than Q.)
So for example, as an enthusiast of Qabalah from a Hermetic perspective,
my Qabalah rating would be: QH+++.
- QC Christian Qabalah
- QH Hermetic Qabalah
- QJ Jewish Qabalah
- QO Other Qabalah
- 5 pluses is Geburah, and Q is Qoph, that's 100 - you figure
- Now how did you say your name was spelled?
- I've got much of 777 memorized and I use it all
- I can rattle off the 10 sephiroth and their colors, and maybe
remember the Tarot attribution.
- The Hebrews and Greeks were probably onto something. Interesting
- I am aware, sort of, of the qabalah, but I don't really use
- It's just numbers and letters. You can get anything
out of it.
- It's just numbers and letters. You can't get nothing
out of it.
- Cabala is a big waste of time by some stuffy old Hebrew nuts.
- My God teaches that arithmetic is the work of Satan.
- Cabal? Isn't that a video game?
666 - Aleister Crowley
In earlier versions of the Code this was written '9', which
was repeated addition of the digits 666 -> 18 -> 9. To
eliminate confusion we are now using '666'.
- Same as 5 pluses (below) except I was actually enlightened.
- I got addicted to heroin, refused to wear underwear, sacrificed
150 baby boys in one year, exorcised 3 Catholic priests, and
tried to take over the O.T.O. just so I could be like The Master
- In a previous life I was one of his students.
- I can quote large chunks of his works at the drop of a robe.
- I own 3 or 4 of his books. I swear by his system of magicK.
- I've read The Book of the Law.
- I've heard of him, read a pamphlet or two. No big whoop.
- I don't see what all the hype's about. He didn't say much
- I read all about him in Fundamentalist Weekly.
- Christ's Kingdom isn't so great; considering the Antichrist
has already come and gone in the form of Crowley, this must be
- Prince of Dallas from Vampire: Jyhad (by Wizards of the Coast,
- As a Secret Chief who once hired Crowley, I choose not to
y - Yoga
- I taught Patanjali everything he knew in a previous incarnation.
- I spend more time in samadhi than in the shower
(and yet my personal hygiene is excellent).
- I have managed to hit dhyana on occasion and feel
like I'm making progress.
- I have no problem holding asana for 30 minutes and
I do pranayama frequently.
- I picked an asana in which I can sit for 20 minutes
- Yoga might well have value, but I don't really use it.
- It seems rather silly and useless to me.
- I'm sure that it leads to atrophy and is otherwise bad for
- Yoga? Didn't John Byner do that on Bizarre?
- Yoga? Didn't he steal picnic baskets from Mr. Ranger?
W - White and black magic
- To even think an evil thought is an act of black magic so
heinous that your very soul risks being annihilated by the Great
- If any of my magic ever came close to harming the least hair
of another sentient being I'd have to atone until the next millenium.
- Do what you will, only an it harm none.
- The Great White Brotherhood is about helping each person
find their own path, and not being intolerant.
- I do not care about white and black magic concerns. I don't
bother others when they don't bother me.
- Evil? Evil can be a beautiful thing.
- Evil? I pride myself on being evil.
- The Great White Brotherhood, if it exists, is for pansies
who can't even be bothered to kill to entertain themselves.
- I seek to increase division throughout the universe and general
establish myself as master of reality.
- Choronzon, Mara, and Satan are just euphemisms for my name.
C - Chaos
Provided by chiaroscuro (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- I am Robert Anton Wilson, Kerry Thornley, Peter Carroll,
Austin Osman Spare, Benoit Mandelbrot, or Mitchell Feigenbaum,
reincarnated if appropriate.
- I base much of my magick on fractal geometry, dynamical systems
analysis, phase space modelling and complexity theory. My favorite
number is 4.669.
- I base much of my magick on Liber Null and Psychonaut,
with a bit of Liber Kaos when I'm feeling adventurous.
My favorite number is 93.
- I base much of my magick on the Principia Discordia.
My favorite number is 23.
- I base much of my magick on The Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy. My favorite number is 42.
- Yeah. Chaos. So what?
- Chaos is really just another kind of order. Or at least,
I think it said something like that in a Fruitopia commercial.
- Chaotes are a bit scary. I like a degree of stability in
- I can't deal with this chaos thing. If there's anything that
drives me, it's the need to feel secure.
- The sole purpose of existence is to subjugate chaos, beating
it into rational, predictable, static order at all costs.
- My friends call me Greyface.
- As I am the Logos, I can't really comment -- wouldn't want
to give away the game.
N - Netmage quotient
Provided by chiaroscuro
- I am Joshua Geller.
- I turn on my computer by electrokinesis, create sigils with
3d rendering software, write Unix system daemons using the Key
of Solomon, and have uploaded most of my consciousness to the
- I have created portions of the alt.magick.* hierarchy, work
with net.aether in preference to the regular, boring kind, and
have extensively developed my esoteric understanding through
the constant memetic testing (cleverly disguised as flamewars)
on the net.
- I'm on the THELEMA, TIAMAT and ARCANA lists, am a prominent
regular on alt.magick, have killfiled the subject line "love
spells", and regularly use the Internet as a magickal focus,
medium, or metaphor.
- I've checked out alt.magick a few times and have Divination
Web's address stashed somewhere.
- I do not see computer technology as particularly relevant
- I posted to alt.magick asking if anyone had any love spells,
but all I got was a brownie recipe.
- I posted to alt.magic asking if anyone had any love spells,
and 200 people mailed my sysadmin asking him to get rid of my
- Computers and magick don't mix. I can't bring my will into
focus within ten meters of one of the things.
- Computers are not only inimical to magick, but are technocratic
evil incarnate and should be reduced to smoldering scrap.
- My last name is Butler and I'm organizing a jihad.
- Huh? A network is something I catch fish with.
- I am an artificial intelligence; eat my dust, meat-brain.
P - Pantheon
Mages use/worship/descrate a variety of pantheons. Here you
should describe which pantheon you use most often (with two letters)
and how many gods/saints/other entities you give a serious amount
of devotion to (with plus signs).
- PAF African (non-Egyptian)
- PAM Aztec/Maya pantheon
- PAW Ancestor worship
- PCE Celtic pantheon
- PCH Chinese pantheon
- PCM Cthulhu mythos
- PEG Egyptian pantheon
- PGR Greco-Roman pantheon
- PHI Hindu
- PJA Japanese pantheon
- PJC Judeo-Christian pantheon
- PNO Norse pantheon
- PNG Neil Gaiman's Endless
- PPA Pantheism
- PPO Polynesian pantheon
- PSB Sumerian/Babylonian
- PZO Zoroastrian
- PXX Atheism
- POT Other pantheon
- PEC Eclectic pantheon
- I worship no entities.
- I worship one entity.
- I worship a handful of entities (2-8).
- I worship a small pantheon (9-15).
- I worship a large pantheon (more than 15).
D - Self-discipline
Many magical traditions advocate strong self-discipline. No
one (well, almost no one) ever fulfills such disciplines
perfectly, but calculate your D rating based upon your typical
performance and the guidelines below.
Note: Only count things below which are undertaken
because of your spiritual beliefs and practices. Do not count
dietary restrictions due to doctor's orders. Do not count vegetarianism
if it is because you don't like the taste of meat or you have
a moral objection to the killing/raising of livestock.
Also, only count the highest rating of a given type. If you
may not have sex at all, count 3, not 1+2+3=6. If you are a vegetarian,
count 2, not 1+2=3.
Finally, because it's possible to have a very high D rating,
do not use pluses, but rather digits: e.g. D1, D0, D9.
Add 1 to your D level for each of the following:
- Must perform some short ritual not more than four times daily
(e.g. praying before bed, saying rosary, Liber Resh,
etc.) and/or before meals (e.g. Grace, Will).
- May not eat certain specific types of food (meat is too general)
(e.g. keeping kosher, eating sattvic foods, etc.).
- May not have sex under certain conditions (e.g. Crowley's
definition of chastity).
- Must set aside one day per week, or one hour per day, for
spiritual practices (same day every week or same hour every day).
Add 2 to your D level for each of the following:
- May not have sex except to procreate.
- Must keep very strict diet (e.g. no meat at all, no drinks
other than water).
- Must set aside two days per week (the same two every week),
or three hours per day (the same three every day), for spiritual
Add 3 to your D level for each of the following:
- No sex at all. This includes masturbation.
- May not speak until spoken to.
- Must set aside three or more days per week (the same three
every week), or five hours per day (the same five every day),
for spiritual practices.
- Must avoid all contact with other people for at least 3 weeks
per year, with the exception of others in group operating under
similar restrictions (OTO high-degree magical retreats, monastery